OKSØY LIGHTHOUSE Flekkerøy, Norway
|Prior to 1832 there was no lighthouse to mark the approach to Kristiansand. The decision was then made to construct a coast light on a skerry called Oksøen. The tower was made of bricks and was 23 metres high. A dwelling house and an outhouse were added to the lighthouse itself. On 25 November the lighthouse was lit, and a French engineer had mounted a new dioptric apparatus. Oksøy was in fact the first lighthouse in Norway with a dioptric apparatus, and Norway was the third country on a world basis to introduce this system. A lighthouse keeper was appointed, and then also an assistant.
|A HREF="2oksoya49.jpg" BORDER=1 ALIGN=LEFT>
Oksøy lighthouse, Flekkerøy
|C.J.Bergh was appointed lighthouse keeper from
1832 - a position he held until 1875. He died 77 years
old after 38 years of employment. He left a wife and 25
children. According to Bergh's repeated complaints to the
administration, the buildings were in very poor
condition, e.g. shortage of water supply, the residence
was freezing cold and also far too small for his large
In 1853 the lantern was replaced by permanent lighting system. From 1860 meteorological observations were performed, and in 1869 a telegraphic cable was constructed. Now the telecommunication company established a semaphore station with a signal mast for day signalling in accordance with the international flag system. The first fog signal came in 1891, and in 1896 the telegraph was replaced by telephone. Around the same time the semaphore station was taken over by the lighthouse service.In
1900 a 36 metres high cast iron tower replaced the old brick tower. Nine years later the semaphore station burned down due to a stroke of lightning. During World War 2 the dwelling house was ruined in a fire in which also the lighthouse keeper's wife was killed. The building was replaced with a semi-detached house around 1950.
A pilot station was constructed on Oksøy around this time. However, in 1979 the pilot station was relocated to Kristiansand, and 10 years later it was decided that the station should be restored and preserved as a cultural relic.
|In 1920 the fog siren was replaced with a more
powerful system. A new machine house was constructed
close to the tower, and the siren itself was placed on
the tower roof.
In 1929 the navy set up a direction finder by the lighthouse. The lighthouse was also electrified in 1951 when Flekkerøy eventually was supplied with electricity. Radio beacon was introduced in 1964.
The Coast Directorate is planning to use Oksøy and Grønningen lighthouse in the testing of new equipment for remote surveillance of lighthouses in Norway.